Well, it has been a while since writing but it sadly is not because we have been out adventuring all over New England waters onboard Persistence but because it has been a Summer of work, weddings, and weekends away from our boat.
However, we have still managed to get in a lot of sailing in – just not always onboard the Persistence. Work has kept me very busy and I have managed to get more use of the Nav Station down below as an office than the sails on deck. We actually realized in August that the mainsail never even went up once in June or July!
The highlights of Summer 2019 thus far with picture below (we still have over a month of sailing weather ahead of us so we don’t plan to put her away yet!)
- Launched on May 15th!
- Mitchell Regatta (Memorial Day Weekend race to Block Island) – Tied (with good friend Morgan) for the best appetizer: Bacon Wrapped Japenpenos Stuffed with Dates and Goat Cheese.
- NYYC Annual Regatta sailing with The Cat Came Back Crew
- Block Island Race Week – I did the media for the event but Brandon sailed with the Cat.
- 4th of July – Brandon was off to a Bachelor party so Scruffy and I hung out in Jamestown on the boat and sailed with friends
- NYYC Race Week – I sailed IC37s onboard Chesapeake Racing
- Camden Classics Cup – Brandon and I headed Downeast to join Verissimo for a weekend of sailing. It was my first time racing there and it was beautiful. We took 2nd in the regatta.
- August 1st! Our first cruising weekend of the SUMMER! Friends were headed to Block Island so we headed out to our favorite spot for a weekend of swimming, mudslides, and even made it out to see a band on Saturday night. Sadly the wind did not cooperate either direction and while the sails were up, we motored sailed both ways for much of the journey.
- Justin and Perri’s Wedding – NYC. Amazing time with friends at the Bronx Botanical Gardens
- Back to Block. We had another weekend free and while we would have loved to go to Cuttyhunk the wind was SE so it was just too good to not set sail for Block once again. Morgan and Jay joined us on Saturday for a relaxing weekend in our favorite place. However, the light winds once again led us to motor most the way.
- August 15th – Took the Newport Yacht Club junior sailors out for a day on the boat with 2 other big boats. I think it is important the kids get to experience something other than an opti. We went to Mackrol Cove to swim and eat and everyone got to try something different.
- Bristol Wedding weekend – Alex Longo, Brandon’s friend from high school was getting married in Bristol at Mount Hope Farm so we set sail on Saturday morning with another friend and stayed on a mooring in the harbor. Sunday was breezy but from the North. Got the boat going 7.5 knots at one point under jib only!
- Labor Day Weekend – And like that it was September. Brandon did the Vineyard Race (Stamford CT to Buzzards Bay and Around Block) onboard a customer’s boat – Jules, a Baltic 53. And I sailed The Cat for the CYC Around the Island Race while simultaneously handling the media for the event.
- Now we head into another wedding weekend for Holly Huffine, one of my oldest friends, here at home. We will probably stay on the boat Saturday and race Sunday on the Cat for the Fall Series but as the temperatures cool. We know there is still much more sailing time still ahead in the coming weeks.